Lotus Notes ID files password cracking

April 10th, 2009 by Vladimir Katalov

You’re probably aware that our Distributed Password Recovery works with Lotus Notes ID files (as well as with two dozen other file formats, of course). Some sad news: in latest versions of Notes (8.5), encryption has been improved. In older versions, only 64-bit and 128-bit RC2 options were available, but now you can also use AES (128-bit or 256-bit). Well, encryption itself does not actually matter, but the problem is that password verification routine is not much better (worse?) as well: 5,000/10,000 SHA-1 cycles have been added. EDPR will be updated accordingly to support new format (you can subscribe to our mailing list to be notified), of course, but don’t expect the high recovery speed: we can get several hundred passwords per second only. For older versions of Notes, the speed was ~100,000 passwords per second or higher.

Tags: ,

Sign up for free ElcomSoft Password Recovery Software newsletter

10 Responses to “Lotus Notes ID files password cracking”

1. Ripul says:

how to reset the lotus password which we forget

2. Sorry, password to Lotus Notes ID file(s) cannot be just reset because of using strong crypto. The only way is to recover it with a brute-force attack (in Distributed Password Recovery).

But if you’re speaking about Lotus SmartSuite (WordPro, Approach, 1-2-3), have a look at Advanced Lotus Password Recovery.

3. domenico says:

Hi there!
    I’m Domenico and I live in Italy.
    I need your precious HELP! I’ve a replica of an encrypted data base taken from Lotus Notes. In this database there is all my working life!!!
    When I try to open it there is a message: “ The database has local access protection (encrypted) and you are not authorized to access it”.
    Do you have a software or suggestions in order to help me?
    Of course I don’t have (better I forgot) user id and password.
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Kindest Regards

4. jarrod says:

dspHTTPPassword: (23BFDA88E6133421BC8CA6FA76514714)

I forgot this passward how to recover it ?

5. sofia jiang says:

I wonder how can i figure out the password verification routine. Is it by doing reverse engineering on Notes API? Thanks for your gracious help.

6. Faisal says:

I want to crack password for a username(known) for lotus notes(webmail). Website will be provided on request.

7. Marsha says:

magnificent publish, very informative. I wonder why the opposite specialists of this sector do not
    notice this. You must continue your writing. I am confident, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

Also visit my website – minecraft server

8. Andrew Scott says:

Thanks for sharing this informative blog which gives us a closer look about the insights of latest version of IBM Lotus Notes.

9. khanderao says:

I have Lotus Notes Client on by PC and have let the organisation and now the Notes is not connected to the server.

I have forgot the password and how can i retrieve it?

I have all my important emails in it.

10. Hard to say in advance. First of all you need to recover your password to ID file — for that, get Distributed Password Recovery (but recovery is not guaranteed for long and complex passwords).